Catching Fire - Movie Discussion

Have you tried our brand new popcorn topping?

Re: Catching Fire - Movie Discussion

Postby HemusK » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:10 am

Spark wrote:
Hemu wrote:
Spark wrote:
Hemu wrote:The whole point of the first book actually was the people dying. It's pretty obviously trying to draw a parallel between the violent nature of media and the spectacle nature of reality shows by taking it to it's extreme. Modern Gladiator fights. By showing us the actual deaths in gruesome detail, it's showing us how bad this society is in that they're enjoying what is something to be horrified at. By removing the death scenes, they basically remove this element of the story and just make it a basic dystopia action movie. Which is pretty lame because there are a million dystopia action novels that could be adapted into basic dystopia action movies.

except the whole thing is still pretty horrifying, you dont need to see every minor character's death to appreciate that

I'd say the competitors aren't minor characters though, they're kinda, and it's not very horrifying. It looks like more shallow movie deaths, it doesn't impact you at all. I've corroborated with others who read the books that the books showed more of the character deaths, so I think the movie should have kept more of those and cut from other areas.

if by "other areas" you mean the fake-romance scenes then yes

I didn't actually mean anything specific but yeah, they could have removed all the romance bullshit and instead included more character deaths.
The fuck are you reading this? get back to the post.
HemusK
Beartato Zweihänder-Odachi Pretzel

Postby JesseRoo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:08 am

Hemu wrote:
Spark wrote:
Hemu wrote:
Spark wrote:
Hemu wrote:The whole point of the first book actually was the people dying. It's pretty obviously trying to draw a parallel between the violent nature of media and the spectacle nature of reality shows by taking it to it's extreme. Modern Gladiator fights. By showing us the actual deaths in gruesome detail, it's showing us how bad this society is in that they're enjoying what is something to be horrified at. By removing the death scenes, they basically remove this element of the story and just make it a basic dystopia action movie. Which is pretty lame because there are a million dystopia action novels that could be adapted into basic dystopia action movies.

except the whole thing is still pretty horrifying, you dont need to see every minor character's death to appreciate that

I'd say the competitors aren't minor characters though, they're kinda, and it's not very horrifying. It looks like more shallow movie deaths, it doesn't impact you at all. I've corroborated with others who read the books that the books showed more of the character deaths, so I think the movie should have kept more of those and cut from other areas.

I didn't actually mean anything specific but yeah, they could have removed all the romance bullshit and instead included more character deaths.

But, at it's core, the book is a teenage romance/drama book. The Hunger Games are just the framing device.

I mean, the concept is pretty cool, but the book is clearly written for a teen female audience (it just happens to be good enough that anybody can enjoy it).
JesseRoo
Waffle Broadsword Pretzel

Postby HemusK » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:20 am

JesseRoo wrote:
Hemu wrote:
Spark wrote:
Hemu wrote:
Spark wrote:except the whole thing is still pretty horrifying, you dont need to see every minor character's death to appreciate that

But, at it's core, the book is a teenage romance/drama book. The Hunger Games are just the framing device.

I mean, the concept is pretty cool, but the book is clearly written for a teen female audience (it just happens to be good enough that anybody can enjoy it).

No it isn't. You're conflating the audience and it's draw with the authorial intent. Suzanne Collin has stated that the ultimate point of it was to illustrate the overviolence of American media. The book isn't clearly written for a female audience, it's written for the YA novel reading audience, which happens to be teenage girls.
HemusK

Postby JesseRoo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:43 am

Hemu wrote:No it isn't. You're conflating the audience and it's draw with the authorial intent. Suzanne Collin has stated that the ultimate point of it was to illustrate the overviolence of American media. The book isn't clearly written for a female audience, it's written for the YA novel reading audience, which happens to be teenage girls.

I guess I'll agree to disagree (death of the author, yo).
JesseRoo
Waffle Broadsword Pretzel

Postby Spark » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:29 pm

YA novels arent just for females :(
IM THE GUY WHO SUCKS, PLUS I GOT DEPRESSION
Spark
Cheddar Glaive Pretzel

Postby HemusK » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:11 am

Spark wrote:YA novels arent just for females :(

I didn't say they were. Teenage females happen to buy YA novels a lot more than other demographics.
HemusK

Previous

Return to Television and Film