Mother 3

Home to the Master Swordpretzel with Super Mushroom toppings

Moderator: Last

Mother 3

Postby HemusK » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:49 pm

So I recently just finished Mother 3. What an amazing game It was. Discuss or something I don't have stuff to say.
The fuck are you reading this? get back to the post.
HemusK
Beartato Zweihänder-Odachi Pretzel

Re: Mother 3

Postby PurpleLugia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:29 am

I hear there's something about a dragon and needles in that game. Can you tell me all about it? Wikipedia's summary isn't very satisfying to me.
PurpleLugia
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Re: Mother 3

Postby HemusK » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Sure.

So the game takes place on an island where there's a small town where everything is peaceful and stuff and you play as Lucas, who is this weakling kid who cries a lot. You're on vacation (I'm using vacation lightly, as everything takes place on the same island but your grandpa lives in the mountains instead of in town) with your mom, Hinawa, and your twin brother, Claus, at your grandpa's house. On that night everything kinda goes wrong as weird half-machine animals start showing up and a fire breaks out in the mountains. You spend most of chapter 1 as Flint, Lucas' dad, who has to go save Lucas and Claus, and after doing so you find out Hinawa was killed and Flint into a rage and are put in jail. The next day Claus tries to go back up the mountain to kill the animal-machine that killed Hinawa, and Flint goes after Claus. Flint eventually finds the machine-animal (it's a half-robot dinosaur thingy) and does manage to kill it, but doesn't find Claus. Timeskip 5 years, people have been buying these TV-like things that are supposed to make them happy, and people who don't have them keep getting their houses struck by lightning. From this point on you play as Lucas, and you're party consists of noble thief Duster, action princess Kumatora, and your faithful dog Boney. The main antagonists, the Pigmask Army who masterminded the happy boxes and the mechanical animals, have made a large metropolitan area where they're convincing people to move. You find out that they're trying to pull out the Seven Needles which keep the Dragon asleep that basically is the island, and that the dragon becomes evil or good depending on if the person pulling the needles is evil or good. Then you globetrot (islandtrot?) around and try to pull the needles before the Pigmasks.

That's the nonspoilery version, hope that's satisfying for plot. The game has a lot of themes of Family and an undercurrent of anti-industrialization and anti-urbanization, and also stresses importance of Family. The gameplay also has a really interesting thing where if you attack, you can tap in tune to the background music and that's how you do combos. The characters are also really colorful and well designed. I played the fantranslation and it's pretty much professional quality, totally worth it.
The fuck are you reading this? get back to the post.
HemusK
Beartato Zweihänder-Odachi Pretzel

Return to Video Games