My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ~ Season 4 Discussion

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ~ Season 4 Discussion

Postby Midpulse » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 am

someone had to make it eventually

i'll watch the first 2 episodes tomorrow. It's gonna be hard getting used to ponies again after watching Equestria Girls (which was actually really good)
Midpulse
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ~ Season 4 Discussio

Postby JesseRoo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:58 am

Spoilers ahead!

Victor and I watched it together on Synchtube, and overall I think it was really good. I'm excited to see where they go from here, especially since Twilight's a princess now (A lot of people complained about that, but it was the plan from the very beginning of the show for Twilight to become a princess; they just didn't pack the series full of exposition to explain it to people).

I hope they have a few more best pony/Rarity episodes this season than last, which is to say any at all (and I imagine they will, since it seems to me that the keys for that box will correspond with the elements, and thus we'll probably have an episode for each character to find their respective key in time for the finale when they open it).
JesseRoo
Waffle Broadsword Pretzel

Postby Northern Verve » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:09 pm

The Season 4 opener was in terms of staying consistent in quality, the best of the openers. Even if it lacked a real villain (Beside Past Discord technically, but the vines and stuff had a better backstory and perhaps even more threatening then Sombra). It didn't have any surprising scenes or songs like This Day Aria or alot of the climax of A Canterlot Wedding. But it also avoids the flaws of every previous two-parter. Like the rushing of some scenes, and while there are a few things that come out of nowhere. Like the Flashback Potion Zecora gave Twilight. It's not as huge overall as introducing two important characters that were never mentioned before (Cadence and Shining Armor, albeit I still liked them) nor does it have an entire place that just happened to have been gone all this time (The Crystal Empire).

It also addressed concerns about Twilight's new status well (Though I was one of the few bronies who as soon as I heard the rumors that came out even before Season 3 officially started, I thought this had potential), and gave an interesting insight on the Elements of Harmony. Discord was also a highlight of the episode, he may no longer be the villain he was in Return of Harmony. But he'll still be a pain in the ass for the Mane 6 even when he's helping. Which he basically did already.

The opener has me optimistic we could be in for the best season of the show yet.

(As for Equestria Girls, eh I'm fine if you like it. But I thought it was only ok, it wasn't great though it wasn't terrible either. I don't think it necessarily needed to be made anyway though. The best part of the movie was before Sunset came into the picture. Which doesn't say much, considering there is still Ponies at that time when this is a movie focused on an alternate Human world.)
Northern Verve
Unsalted Knife Pretzel

Postby TehVict » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 pm

It was interesting to see the backstory behind Luna's banishment and the elements of harmony, and seeing Discord again is always nice. The premiere was enjoyable, but it didn't feel like anything too special for me. I was worried for the series after the terrible Season 3 finale, but it seems they're getting back on track. Looks like Season 4 will be better than the train wreck that was most of Season 3, so that's good.
TehVict
Master Swordsmith Pretzel Chef

Postby Northern Verve » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:37 pm

TehVict wrote:It was interesting to see the backstory behind Luna's banishment and the elements of harmony, and seeing Discord again is always nice. The premiere was enjoyable, but it didn't feel like anything too special for me. I was worried for the series after the terrible Season 3 finale, but it seems they're getting back on track. Looks like Season 4 will be better than the train wreck that was most of Season 3, so that's good.

Unlike you I really enjoyed the Season 3 Finale (It's my favorite of the season, and even ranks among my favorite episodes of the show overall). It's really a love it or hate it kind of thing anyway. There's some legit reasons to hate it as there is much to love it. The musical route alone is probably what splits it, and the rather rushed pace can be forgiven if you remember that's all they had room for. (As much as it would of been better if they had scrapped Spike at your Service & Apple Family Reunion to give more room for Keep Calm and Flutter On and this episode).

By far the most controversial thing about the Finale seems to be about Twilight being an Alicorn Princess now. Which as I've said there's way this can go right, and I think the Season 4 opener does go with at least some of that route.

I also don't dislike Season 3 in general as much as you seem to do. It's still the worst of the three completed seasons. But that's because 13 episodes have to really pack a punch in every single episode to even have a shot at beating two 26 episode long seasons. I think if you split Seasons 1 and 2 into their own sections though they all have their good, bad, and average/meh episodes though. Because for me Season 3 went like this.

Great
Magic Duel
Magical Mystery Cure

Good
Crystal Empire Part 2
Sleepless in Ponyville
Wonderbolt Academy

Ok/Average
Crystal Empire Part 1
Too Many Pinkie Pies
One Bad Apple
Keep Calm and Flutter On
Just for Sidekicks

Meh
Apple Family Reunion
Games Ponies Play

Bad
Spike at your Service
Northern Verve
Unsalted Knife Pretzel

Postby Midpulse » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:40 pm

Northern Verve wrote:(As for Equestria Girls, eh I'm fine if you like it. But I thought it was only ok, it wasn't great though it wasn't terrible either. I don't think it necessarily needed to be made anyway though. The best part of the movie was before Sunset came into the picture. Which doesn't say much, considering there is still Ponies at that time when this is a movie focused on an alternate Human world.)

I was actually considering not watching season 4 because I liked them more as humans. Equestria Girls was great
Midpulse
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Postby JesseRoo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:42 am

Midpulse wrote:
Northern Verve wrote:(As for Equestria Girls, eh I'm fine if you like it. But I thought it was only ok, it wasn't great though it wasn't terrible either. I don't think it necessarily needed to be made anyway though. The best part of the movie was before Sunset came into the picture. Which doesn't say much, considering there is still Ponies at that time when this is a movie focused on an alternate Human world.)

I was actually considering not watching season 4 because I liked them more as humans. Equestria Girls was great

I haven't watched Equestria Girls yet, but I really like the Starswirl Academy versions of the characters.
JesseRoo
Waffle Broadsword Pretzel

Postby Northern Verve » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Midpulse wrote:

That's certainly an odd opinion I don't see much anywhere. I still prefer seeing them as Ponies than humans. Part of it being that the design of the humans in Equestria Girls don't really look as good as the Pony designs do for me.

Again, I'm fine if you liked Equestria Girls. I just hope movie references in the show if they do happen are relatively minimal. And don't have something from that movie that overbears on something in the show.

(Example: Flash Sentry returning anywhere in the show and having a relationship with Twilight would be a nightmare scenario for me)
Northern Verve
Unsalted Knife Pretzel

Postby Midpulse » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Northern Verve wrote:I just hope movie references in the show if they do happen are relatively minimal. And don't have something from that movie that overbears on something in the show.

Oh heavens no, I would hate a reference to the movie in the show. It shouldn't be canon, because there's so many questions to leave if it's considered canon (why did they have that portal and act like its nothing)

Of course they will, for marketing purposes (hence the show in general). But, like with the Star Wars prequels, is better to pretend it never happened.
Midpulse
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Postby Northern Verve » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:18 am

Well anyway, the previous episode (Castle-Mania) was good enough. Not the greatest episode. But the best non two-parter/special occasion since Sleepless in Ponyville. And reminds me very much so of how some Season 1 episodes were like. We haven't had a true episode like this where the Main 6 all had their own little roles of this level like this since Best Night Ever.
Northern Verve
Unsalted Knife Pretzel

Next

Return to Animation