Anime & Manga Board Situation

Got an idea for a new flavor? Did one of our blades fail you?

What should be done?

Keep Anime as a Television sub-board and Manga as a Comics sub-board
50%
Make a separate "Anime, Manga & Visual Novels" Board
50%

Total votes : 12

Re: Anime & Manga Board Situation

Postby HemusK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:04 am

N wrote:
JesseRoo wrote:
Hemu wrote:Well if we're making a new board for animu and mango, I don't see why we then don't proceed to make a combined board for cartoons and non-superhero comics, since the overlap is pretty high in that. Then of course we should merge literature and film since every popular book has a film adaptation.

I think that's rather silly, and the only reason we're even considering mango and animu board is by cause it just so happens that a lot of you are weaboos and don't discuss the non-weaboo and the weaboo media together.

That's a good point; if I wanted to talk about Arkham City, I'd post in Video Games, if I wanted to talk about Batman: The Animated series I'd post in Television and Film, if I wanted to talk about The Killing Joke I'd post in Comics and Literature. Makes sense to me.

So you're saying that we should make a discussion thread for all possible adaptations to an anime or a light novel, or a visual novel? I wouldn't want to talk about something for a S;G Visual Novel and then want to talk about something for the anime, or want to talk about something for the manga and have three different threads about the same series.

I personally think that Anime, Manga, and Visual Novels are such big topics that they shouldn't be sub boards in the first place.

Yeah I do think we should have discussion threads for every separate adaptation. It makes life easier considering how vast and varied adaptions can be.

Volt wrote:Make separate boards for Eastern and Western media. If I'm someone who prefers one or the other I don't want to sift through topics to find the things that I want to talk about. If I'm someone who likes both I have both discussions organized to my heart's content. It is objectively the best option and best of both worlds.

However there isn't a need for them to be ALL separate. Anime, Manga, Visual Novels and Light Novels should just be in one board.

That's the point of having sub-boards. You want to discuss western animation and eastern animation and live action television, you can talk about all of them, but for the sake of categorization those are all under television and film because that's what they are.

Volt wrote:
Hemu wrote:I think that's rather silly, and the only reason we're even considering mango and animu board is by cause it just so happens that a lot of you are weaboos and don't discuss the non-weaboo and the weaboo media together.

There is a difference between "it just so happens" and an actual demand. I think there is enough demand to make it separate for people who like Japanese media. Would avoid the word "weeaboo", personally. Don't like to be called that when I don't consider myself to be one.

There isn't a difference between it just so happens and actual demand. I'm sure if I had a bunch of friends who wanted to discuss Indie comics and western cartoons and have them merged, there would be an actual demand because it just so happens that there were a lot of people who wanted to talk about that. And weaboo i my term of preference for people who like that type of media so I'm sticking to it.

One issue that I don't feel people are talking about much aside from shrub saying it earlier is that there really isn't much Visual Novel or Manga activity. There is one manga thread and no VN threads, it's pretty clear the majority of your discussion is about Anime and that the only reason for the merger is that almost all Anime is based on a VN or Manga. Y'know you guys can make references to the manga and the VN as they are source material in anime threads, but for the sake of categorization it only seems sane to me to keep them separate.
The fuck are you reading this? get back to the post.
HemusK
Beartato Zweihänder-Odachi Pretzel

Postby Volt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:12 am

Hemu wrote:
N wrote:
JesseRoo wrote:
Hemu wrote:Well if we're making a new board for animu and mango, I don't see why we then don't proceed to make a combined board for cartoons and non-superhero comics, since the overlap is pretty high in that. Then of course we should merge literature and film since every popular book has a film adaptation.

I think that's rather silly, and the only reason we're even considering mango and animu board is by cause it just so happens that a lot of you are weaboos and don't discuss the non-weaboo and the weaboo media together.

That's a good point; if I wanted to talk about Arkham City, I'd post in Video Games, if I wanted to talk about Batman: The Animated series I'd post in Television and Film, if I wanted to talk about The Killing Joke I'd post in Comics and Literature. Makes sense to me.

So you're saying that we should make a discussion thread for all possible adaptations to an anime or a light novel, or a visual novel? I wouldn't want to talk about something for a S;G Visual Novel and then want to talk about something for the anime, or want to talk about something for the manga and have three different threads about the same series.

I personally think that Anime, Manga, and Visual Novels are such big topics that they shouldn't be sub boards in the first place.

Yeah I do think we should have discussion threads for every separate adaptation. It makes life easier considering how vast and varied adaptions can be.

Volt wrote:Make separate boards for Eastern and Western media. If I'm someone who prefers one or the other I don't want to sift through topics to find the things that I want to talk about. If I'm someone who likes both I have both discussions organized to my heart's content. It is objectively the best option and best of both worlds.

However there isn't a need for them to be ALL separate. Anime, Manga, Visual Novels and Light Novels should just be in one board.

That's the point of having sub-boards. You want to discuss western animation and eastern animation and live action television, you can talk about all of them, but for the sake of categorization those are all under television and film because that's what they are.

Volt wrote:
Hemu wrote:I think that's rather silly, and the only reason we're even considering mango and animu board is by cause it just so happens that a lot of you are weaboos and don't discuss the non-weaboo and the weaboo media together.

There is a difference between "it just so happens" and an actual demand. I think there is enough demand to make it separate for people who like Japanese media. Would avoid the word "weeaboo", personally. Don't like to be called that when I don't consider myself to be one.

There isn't a difference between it just so happens and actual demand. I'm sure if I had a bunch of friends who wanted to discuss Indie comics and western cartoons and have them merged, there would be an actual demand because it just so happens that there were a lot of people who wanted to talk about that. And weaboo i my term of preference for people who like that type of media so I'm sticking to it.

One issue that I don't feel people are talking about much aside from shrub saying it earlier is that there really isn't much Visual Novel or Manga activity. There is one manga thread and no VN threads, it's pretty clear the majority of your discussion is about Anime and that the only reason for the merger is that almost all Anime is based on a VN or Manga. Y'know you guys can make references to the manga and the VN as they are source material in anime threads, but for the sake of categorization it only seems sane to me to keep them separate.

I mean you're an admin right? The term is somewhat offensive and it doesn't necessarily endear me or welcome me to post here.

It literally makes no sense to keep manga and VNs separate from anime when the Manga and VN board is barren. Why have boards that nobody posts in? If the one occasional manga or VN thread is posted in the anime forum that looks better for activity.

And if it just so happens to be a demand for something it shouldn't be dismissed as "it just so happens". If there is a demand for something, it should be followed through.

Also another thing is that the Comics and Literature board shouldn't even exist. There is only one thread that has posts past the OP and there are only a couple of posts that are actually on topic. We would be better off without it being an actual board.
Volt
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Postby HemusK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 am

Volt wrote:
Hemu wrote:
N wrote:
JesseRoo wrote:

Volt wrote:

I mean you're an admin right? The term is somewhat offensive and it doesn't necessarily endear me or welcome me to post here.

It literally makes no sense to keep manga and VNs separate from anime when the Manga and VN board is barren. Why have boards that nobody posts in? If the one occasional manga or VN thread is posted in the anime forum that looks better for activity.

And if it just so happens to be a demand for something it shouldn't be dismissed as "it just so happens". If there is a demand for something, it should be followed through.

Ok, fair point, I apologize for calling you/anyone else that.

Second there is no VN board, just for clarification. And I myself didn't like having a Manga board before we even had any manga discussion, which is the reason we made sure there was no VN board until people actually started discussion VNs. For the sake of categorization it seems to me to be easier to keep media with the same media, it literally makes no sense to me to have them all in the same discussion when they're different media. As I pointed out earlier, the same overlap happens with multiple other forms of media and I think it's equally weird for them as it is for this.

Lastly it shouldn't necessarily be followed through, but it should be taken into consideration for the actual decision.
HemusK

Postby Volt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:25 am

Mixed up VN with LN.

I think the difference between Western and Eastern medias is distinct enough. Categorization is a bad thing when it narrows things down too much. If medias have a common source material they should be grouped together. However its bad for the forum when there are boards that are not used. It is however good for the forum when common sense is used and topics that are related to one another are condensed to one area. If there was an influx of people who wanted manga separated from anime then it would be something to be considered, but that isn't the case. It also makes no sense to get rid of the boards altogether because there wouldn't be a place to talk about it. Since anime, manga and light novels are culturally related mediums they should be grouped together in the same board until there is a demand that they should be separated.
Volt
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Postby TehVict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:57 am

JesseRoo wrote:
TehVict wrote:
Midpulse wrote:
TehVict wrote:
There's literally one thread in the manga board. Nobody has made a VN thread on the VG board yet.

Edited the original post with my thoughts.

You have a very specific problem, and creating a board for all 3 of those things would only cause more confusion. It is better if we just have the boards either stay the way they are, or make them into main boards instead of sub-boards. For example: if I wanted to discuss the anime adaption of Shingeki No Kyojin, then I would make a post in the Anime board, so no Manga spoilers are there because the topic would be too generic. If I wanted to discuss later in the story, where only the Manga has shown, I would discuss it in the Manga category.

How are you so bad at doing quotes

GODDAMMIT

OK. What I had said was something like:

What you (Mid) are describing is also a very specific problem, by your definition.

I see where you're coming from though, and there doesn't seem to be any way to accommodate both on-going and finished works at once, so neither option is the best solution, they're simply options.

JesseRoo wrote:

Oh, you know full well that's not a good comparison, Jesse. As far as I know (and I don't know very much so excuse me if I am wrong), the Arkham game series and the multiple Batman cartoons have completely different canons, they're all set in different universes relevant only to those installments. Meanwhile, Steins;Gate anime is a straight up faithful adaptation of the Visual Novel, there's nothing too different to discuss between the two. At the same time, the spin-offs just go more in-depth about the same Steins;Gate canon, as opposed to being retcons. Plus, there's an obvious difference between a Visual Novel where the only thing that really matters is the story while in a more typical video-game, there's a lot more to discuss about the gameplay.

As for Hemu's point, manga->anime adaptations are often a lot more 1:1 than book->movie adaptations, which tend to be less accurate to the source material - considering the manga pretty much works as an early storyboard for the anime. Really, what's the point in having a Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood discussion thread and a FMA manga thread when they're pretty much the exact same thing?

Edit: As a side-note, it's entirely possible to have a "Anime & Manga" board and have two threads in it for "Attack on Titan Manga Discussion" and "Attack on Titan Anime-only Discussion". The same can be done when the adaptation is distinct from the source material, "Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai Anime Discussion" and "Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai LN Discussion" both in the same board.
TehVict
Master Swordsmith Pretzel Chef

Postby TehVict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Hemu wrote: I myself didn't like having a Manga board before we even had any manga discussion, which is the reason we made sure there was no VN board until people actually started discussion VNs.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41

checkmate, go make that board.
TehVict

Postby HemusK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:21 pm

TehVict wrote:
Hemu wrote: I myself didn't like having a Manga board before we even had any manga discussion, which is the reason we made sure there was no VN board until people actually started discussion VNs.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41

Does that count as a VN?

TehVict wrote:
JesseRoo wrote:

Oh, you know full well that's not a good comparison, Jesse. As far as I know (and I don't know very much so excuse me if I am wrong), the Arkham game series and the multiple Batman cartoons have completely different canons, they're all set in different universes relevant only to those installments. Meanwhile, Steins;Gate anime is a straight up faithful adaptation of the Visual Novel, there's nothing too different to discuss between the two. At the same time, the spin-offs just go more in-depth about the same Steins;Gate canon, as opposed to being retcons. Plus, there's an obvious difference between a Visual Novel where the only thing that really matters is the story while in a more typical video-game, there's a lot more to discuss about the gameplay.

As for Hemu's point, manga->anime adaptations are often a lot more 1:1 than book->movie adaptations, which tend to be less accurate to the source material - considering the manga pretty much works as an early storyboard for the anime. Really, what's the point in having a Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood discussion thread and a FMA manga thread when they're pretty much the exact same thing?

Edit: As a side-note, it's entirely possible to have a "Anime & Manga" board and have two threads in it for "Attack on Titan Manga Discussion" and "Attack on Titan Anime-only Discussion". The same can be done when the adaptation is distinct from the source material, "Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai Anime Discussion" and "Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai LN Discussion" both in the same board.

It's pretty obvious based on the actual discussion that has happened that you guys primarily want to talk about Anime. I don't see a reason to be super strict in-discussion, you're going to reference related media, it'll happen. I don't have anything wrong with the Adventure Time thread discussing Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!, so I don't see why you can't reference and discuss the manga/vn in a discussion about your primarily anime discussion.
HemusK

Postby TehVict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Hemu wrote:
TehVict wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41

Does that count as a VN?

Yes.
TehVict

Postby V » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:05 am

i suggest you split it into different boards.

just because they are all gaining posts.
Who's Cakelikeslies?
V
Waffle Broadsword Pretzel

Postby JesseRoo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:17 am

TehVict wrote:
Hemu wrote:
TehVict wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41

Does that count as a VN?

Yes.

I wouldn't consider that a point in your favour, because there are people who play Phoenix Wright amongst our non-'fans of Japanese stuff' audience (if only there was a word for that we could use without offending people). If we put that in a VN board, then all of those people would probably miss it because they're not interested in visual novels in general.
JesseRoo
Waffle Broadsword Pretzel

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Feedback