Anime & Manga Board Situation

Got an idea for a new flavor? Did one of our blades fail you?

What should be done?

Keep Anime as a Television sub-board and Manga as a Comics sub-board
50%
Make a separate "Anime, Manga & Visual Novels" Board
50%

Total votes : 12

Anime & Manga Board Situation

Postby TehVict » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Currently there's an Anime sub-board to the Television board, and a Manga sub-board to the Comics board. A lot of people feel like those two should be discussed together in a joint board though, so I decided to open a poll.

Please vote and voice your opinion!

Edit: Okay here's just my own thoughts...

Say I want to make a Toradora General Discussion Thread. There's no place a thread like that really belongs right now, because it was originally a Light Novel, was adapted and is most known for its anime, was also adapted into a manga, and on top of that, a Visual Novel for PSP that was just recently translated to English.

Another example, Steins;Gate. It was originally a VN (that is releasing officially in English early 2014), has technically three VN "sequels", has a really famous anime adaptation, just recently got a movie that is coming to blu-rays real soon, has a few drama CDs, and a ton, and I mean a ton of manga spin-offs and adaptations. It makes sense to want to discuss the series as a whole together, but where would it be done?
TehVict
Master Swordsmith Pretzel Chef

Re: Anime & Manga Board Situation

Postby HemusK » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 pm

No.
The fuck are you reading this? get back to the post.
HemusK
Beartato Zweihänder-Odachi Pretzel

Postby Midpulse » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Throw a visual novel category under comics/video games, and call it a day. Since eastern stuff is some of the most talked about on here, throwing it all in one board would just make the rest a desert of western abandoned discussions.
Midpulse
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Postby TehVict » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Midpulse wrote:Since eastern stuff is some of the most talked about on here, throwing it all in one board would just make the rest a desert of western abandoned discussions.

There's literally one thread in the manga board. Nobody has made a VN thread on the VG board yet.

Edited the original post with my thoughts.
TehVict

Postby Midpulse » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:23 pm

TehVict wrote:
There's literally one thread in the manga board. Nobody has made a VN thread on the VG board yet.

You have a very specific problem, and creating a board for all 3 of those things would only cause more confusion. It is better if we just have the boards either stay the way they are, or make them into main boards instead of sub-boards. For example: if I wanted to discuss the anime adaption of Shingeki No Kyojin, then I would make a post in the Anime board, so no Manga spoilers are there because the topic would be too generic. If I wanted to discuss later in the story, where only the Manga has shown, I would discuss it in the Manga category.
Midpulse
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Postby TehVict » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Midpulse wrote:
TehVict wrote:

You have a very specific problem, and creating a board for all 3 of those things would only cause more confusion. It is better if we just have the boards either stay the way they are, or make them into main boards instead of sub-boards. For example: if I wanted to discuss the anime adaption of Shingeki No Kyojin, then I would make a post in the Anime board, so no Manga spoilers are there because the topic would be too generic. If I wanted to discuss later in the story, where only the Manga has shown, I would discuss it in the Manga category.
TehVict

Postby HemusK » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Well if we're making a new board for animu and mango, I don't see why we then don't proceed to make a combined board for cartoons and non-superhero comics, since the overlap is pretty high in that. Then of course we should merge literature and film since every popular book has a film adaptation.

I think that's rather silly, and the only reason we're even considering mango and animu board is by cause it just so happens that a lot of you are weaboos and don't discuss the non-weaboo and the weaboo media together.
The fuck are you reading this? get back to the post.
HemusK
Beartato Zweihänder-Odachi Pretzel

Postby JesseRoo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:41 am

TehVict wrote:
Midpulse wrote:
TehVict wrote:

How are you so bad at doing quotes

Hemu wrote:Well if we're making a new board for animu and mango, I don't see why we then don't proceed to make a combined board for cartoons and non-superhero comics, since the overlap is pretty high in that. Then of course we should merge literature and film since every popular book has a film adaptation.

I think that's rather silly, and the only reason we're even considering mango and animu board is by cause it just so happens that a lot of you are weaboos and don't discuss the non-weaboo and the weaboo media together.

That's a good point; if I wanted to talk about Arkham City, I'd post in Video Games, if I wanted to talk about Batman: The Animated series I'd post in Television and Film, if I wanted to talk about The Killing Joke I'd post in Comics and Literature. Makes sense to me.
JesseRoo
Waffle Broadsword Pretzel

Postby N » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:15 am

JesseRoo wrote:
Hemu wrote:Well if we're making a new board for animu and mango, I don't see why we then don't proceed to make a combined board for cartoons and non-superhero comics, since the overlap is pretty high in that. Then of course we should merge literature and film since every popular book has a film adaptation.

That's a good point; if I wanted to talk about Arkham City, I'd post in Video Games, if I wanted to talk about Batman: The Animated series I'd post in Television and Film, if I wanted to talk about The Killing Joke I'd post in Comics and Literature. Makes sense to me.

So you're saying that we should make a discussion thread for all possible adaptations to an anime or a light novel, or a visual novel? I wouldn't want to talk about something for a S;G Visual Novel and then want to talk about something for the anime, or want to talk about something for the manga and have three different threads about the same series.

I personally think that Anime, Manga, and Visual Novels are such big topics that they shouldn't be sub boards in the first place.
N
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Postby Volt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:37 am

Make separate boards for Eastern and Western media. If I'm someone who prefers one or the other I don't want to sift through topics to find the things that I want to talk about. If I'm someone who likes both I have both discussions organized to my heart's content. It is objectively the best option and best of both worlds.

However there isn't a need for them to be ALL separate. Anime, Manga, Visual Novels and Light Novels should just be in one board.

Hemu wrote:I think that's rather silly, and the only reason we're even considering mango and animu board is by cause it just so happens that a lot of you are weaboos and don't discuss the non-weaboo and the weaboo media together.

There is a difference between "it just so happens" and an actual demand. I think there is enough demand to make it separate for people who like Japanese media. Would avoid the word "weeaboo", personally. Don't like to be called that when I don't consider myself to be one.
Volt
Shortsword Pretzel Stick

Next

Return to Suggestions and Feedback